Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Does Sharon take sugar in her tea?


Sharon went to the excellent Cinnamon Cafe in Newton Stewart yesterday. She had been invited to join a small bunch of friends who are blind or partially sighted and meet regularly for a chat and a laugh. Of course an enormous Cappuccino, with chocolate sprinkles on top of the froth and a big moist fruit scone with home-made blackcurrant jam was the first thing to be ordered.

“It was so nice to make new friends who share some of the same problems I have. So we were able to talk about things that we all understand without having to explain everything all the time to people who can see. It was so relaxing and we had such a good laugh.

“Everyone who looks after us is to be highly commended but it is nice to be with people like me. We talked about lots of the things that we have to deal with every day but not in a depressing way. Nobody moaned.

“Just because we can't see, and I can't walk, doesn't mean that we can't answer questions and talk. There is nothing wrong with our brains. So, if people want to know something they should ask us directly. One lady said she hated hearing people asking whoever was with her: “Does she take sugar in her tea?” Why on earth can't they ask her directly as she is quite capable of saying yes or no.

“One thing that I find very difficult is when people talk to me without telling me first who they are. Many times I can identify people from their voices but not always. So, for me it is heart warming when somebody says “Hullo, this is so-and-so” before they start talking. I am sure I miss a lot by not being able to see facial expressions but if there is anything untoward you can generally hear it in the sound of someone's voice. So you can keep up a bit. But raised eyebrows and things like are beyond me. I suppose it's a bit my fault as I don't 'look blind' and can't carry a white cane as it would get tangled up in the wheelchair wheels.

“One lady, Charlotte, had brought Major, her lovely golden Labrador guide dog along. I was amazed to see that he just lay under our table for the whole of our gassing session. Although I did manage to give him a few pats. My old Sam the Labrador would never be so quiet for so long. He would have to go round and greet every single customer with masses of tail wagging and generally getting in the way. But, then, he isn't a guide dog – just one of my best friends.

“I can't remember all the things we talked about but it must have been quite amusing because we did have lots of laughs. It was so good to be with people who have disabilities the same as me so I didn't feel as if I had to try so hard. I found it so relaxing. This was a wonderful way to spend a Monday afternoon and I am very much looking forward to our next coffee and cake extravaganza. We're planning outings as well, to Port Patrick and Castle Douglas so that will be great fun.”

www.sharonskitchenworld.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment