Saturday, July 24, 2010

Garden of All The Senses Taking Shape


In a few weeks there will be a special temporary garden in the centre of Wigtown for the blind, partially sighted and other disabled people.

The garden is a project of the enthusiasts of the Wigtown in Bloom project who are working hard to make it success, together with the support of sponsors and other well wishers.

Sharon suggested the garden be set up as she has always loved gardening. “I have always gardened and as I have lived around the world it has always been a great joy. I lived in high-rise apartments mostly so my balconies have been my garden. When I was in Spain, I had a real garden, not just a balcony, and it had lots of lovely flowers and fruit trees, such as medlars, quinces, apple, mandarins, oranges and even grapes.

“As my sight diminished, I found it more and more difficult and struggled. When I had my stroke about two and a half years ago it became impossible for me to garden. But my husband has taken up the gardening for me as I have a little patio which is ideal for pot plants – I give the orders, of course! But things are flourishing and I can see the big blobs of colour, such as my nasturtiums, sweet peas and petunias. And I can smell all the lovely herbs, which get used in our cooking almost daily.

“The idea of the Garden of All the Senses is so that people like me, who can't garden themselves, will be able to come along and enjoy the plants as if it was their own garden. Wonderful people are supporting the idea and will be donating plants for the displays.

“We still have some way to go in meeting all the expenses. I'm hoping, for example, that we might be able to get people to sponsor a pot at £10 a go or make other donations. My email address is sharon888bruce@gmail.com

“We will be setting a date for the garden to open soon and everyone is welcome to come along and enjoy the displays.”

www.sharonskitchenworld.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment