Friday, July 23, 2010

Never mind the lottery - try millionaire's shortbread


Sharon has been buying lottery tickets for ages but so far the fickle finger of fate has declined to shower her with cash.

Yesterday, she was in Stranraer, and couldn't resist popping into a traditional bakery and cake shop – John Gillespie and Son, in Castle Street. Not surprisingly, this street is right next to the castle and very easy to find.

There were beautiful shiny glazed strawberry tarts, mouth-watering meringues and other tasty temptations. “I fancied something chocolaty,” she said. “The lady pointed out the slices of chocolate-covered, caramel, Scottish shortbread known as Millionaire's Shortbread. Most appropriate, I thought, so I plumped for a slice which I have to say was one of the most delicious things I have eaten in a long time. I ate it when I got home with my afternoon cup of tea. I wish I had bought two so that I had one for today. Whenever I am back in Stranraer I will definitely be visiting Gillespie's.”

The shop also makes wonderfully-light potato cakes, which are a Scottish savoury tradition. They are like flat pancakes and are delicious, either warmed with breakfast or spread with whatever you like.

“I have still got my lottery tickets for the weekend,” said Sharon. “Think how many squares of Millionaire's Shortbread I can buy when I win.”

www.sharonskitchenworld.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment