Thursday, July 8, 2010

Taking time to appreciate plants


Sharon is greatly enjoying her pot plant patio. “I have spent my whole life gardening and loved every minute. But since I had my stroke I am not able to bob about like I used to with my pot plants. So now I have to ask my husband to do the watering and the feeding and the dead-heading. I have the smallest patio in town but it is looks lovely.

“The thing I have come to realize about being disabled as well as blind is that I now sit for long periods of time during the day. When my husband puts one of my beautiful flower pots on the table next to my chair I have lots of time to actually look at the flowers and appreciate how beautiful they are. Although I am blind, I can see some things especially bright colours. Flowers like nasturtiums, petunias and pansies are so brightly coloured. I actually have time now to appreciate all their hard work in growing from tiny little plants into beautiful coloured blobs for me to enjoy.”

No comments:

Post a Comment