Sunday, May 24, 2009

How to diet

Sharon is trying to teach herself how to stand up from a sitting position. This not as simple as it seems and the suggestion was made that shedding some of the pounds that have crept on while she has been ill could make the task a little lighter. So a diet has been started. Fortunately, this requires taking healthy food such as strawberries in the form of strawberry cheesecake.

Sharon said: “There is misery and there is misery but there is no need to be thoroughly miserable by missing out on little culinary treats. It´s all very well being incapacitated and not able to do the simplest things around the house. But to have to give up little niceties such as cake and cheesecake is a bit much. So I´m not.

“I am going to try to lose a few pounds though. This is why I have started on fruit smoothes but I am not giving up daily intake of something that hits the spot. Today´s treat was strawberry cheesecake made with the fresh strawberries we bought yesterday. It´s good for me really with all that fruit.”

“My latest challenge is to try and stand up totally unassisted from wherever I happen to be sitting, my sofa, my chair or my wheelchair. It´s all right if I have someone´s hand to steady me. I can stand without putting any weight on anybody else. But to stand completely on my own is proving quite a challenge to me. I´ve done it once or twice but I think the loss of a few pounds will help.

“The main problem is that my left hand doesn´t work at all so I can´t use it to help to steady myself. I can push myself up with my right hand but my leg muscles aren´t strong enough to whoosh me up to stand in that final movement. And I can´t use my left hand to grab onto anything.

“My latest achievement is that I can, after lots of practice, lift up my left hand from wherever it happens to be resting comfortably. I can touch my chin – and put it back down again. This is a huge achievement for me and I am very pleased. So maybe the use of it is coming back slowly. “

***

©Phillip Bruce

No comments:

Post a Comment