Thursday, May 7, 2009

Munching on medlars

Sharon went for a few steps in the front garden and was admiring the nispero, or medlar, tree.

“I am lucky enough to have what they call a ´heurta´ in Spain. This is an enclosed garden surrounded by a wall or fence. And I am even luckier because mine is full of fruit trees. I know nothing about fruit trees, but they do very well, so they are obviously looking after themselves. In the winter the neighbours prune them for me.

“I have got apples, oranges, mandarins, nisperos, quince, and table grape. The vine grows over an iron support and provides shade for the summer.

“Three is nothing much you can do with nisperos except eat them fresh. Some people make a sauce to pour over ice cream but I don´t know how to do that. They are delicious but you have to eat them when they are just past ripe, with a few brown spots on them. Now they are absolutely perfect. So, I will be dishing them out to my neighbours and friends as gifts. Here in the Campo, everyone shares everything. The birds are also helping themselves to their share “

The nispero, or medlar, is a member of the rose family and several varieties are grown in England, where the fruits are gathered in November rather than May, as in Spain.

***

©Phillip Bruce 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment