Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Home of Hannibal



Sharon was out and about in the ancient streets of Cartagena this morning.

“I was following up the last bits of my paper trail at government offices near the main Post Office and Phil pushed me up a side street in the wheelchair to have a look at the archaeological dig going on there.

“Apparently, this is the Molinete Hill and it is stuffed with ancient remains, from the Carthaginians to the Romans. It was an important part of the city in Roman times, with bits of the forum and other public buildings there.

“But, more interestingly, is the belief that it was where Hannibal’s family home was. Hannibal was a member of the Barca family, a powerful Carthaginian clan. It was the Carthaginians who founded Cartagena, Spain, about 200 years before the birth of Christ. Hannibal was brought up here and gathered his armies and elephants to go off and cross the Alps to attack Italy. The Barca´s also founded Barcelona.

“The archaeologists are hoping to find remains of the family palace but they have been at it for a while and they know they have got many years to go. Let´s hope they find something interesting like treasure and jewels and not just piles of old stones.

“My friend Viv tells me that the next Hollywood blockbuster is due out in 2010 and it stars Vin Diesel as Hannibal. Should be a right ripping yarn and a real adventure film, with plenty of swords and sandals. I´m sure there will be moans and groans about its historical inaccuracy but I bet it will be a great adventure film. I can´t wait to see it. I wonder if they filmed my house? I shall be looking eagerly for places I know.

***

©Phillip Bruce 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment