Thursday, June 11, 2009

Sharon and Sam


One of Sharon´s best tonics is Sam, the golden Labrador. She says:

“He has been my pal for about 10 years now. He never leaves my side and he always likes to keep me in view. He follows me when I am practicing my walking round the house and if I go outside and up and down the track. He comes up to me when I am sitting watching TV in my big comfy chair and he pushes his wet nose into the side of my leg and says ´Here I am. Just pat me. And I still love you, even though I know you can´t do anything for me.´ It´s as though he understands that I can´t take him for walks like I used to and lean over and give him big cuddles like I used to. But it´s as if he knows that I would if I possibly could. His big brown eyes are full of love and understanding when he stares up at me. It looks as though he is about to burst into tears.

“I got him as a rescue puppy when I lived in Worthing back in England and he has been by my side all these years. It´s uncanny the way I think he understands what I say to him, as if he is a person and not a dog.

“I know he is getting on now and it worries me that I won´t have him forever. It makes me very sad to think about it. He is well overweight but he is on diet food biscuits. But he gets tasty snacks from our neighbours. He also suffers from arthritis and he goes outside the front door to lie in the sunshine every afternoon. I think it is good for him to get sun on the bones. He always comes in puffing and panting but I think it does him good so I encourage him. Sunshine is supposed to be good for sore bones. He doesn´t limp as much as he did, so it must be helping. “

***

©Phillip Bruce 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment