Monday, March 8, 2010

How does it feel to have your food cut up for you?

When you are severely disabled, can't see well and only have the use of one hand, you have to ask for a lot of help.

Sharon says: “It is embarrassing. I remember cutting up the food for my children when they were little. Now that I am a grown up I am supposed to be able to do it myself but I can't any more. So, this is yet one more thing that I have have help with.

“Sitting out in public, knowing that everybody is watching that someone is cutting up your food for you is mighty embarrassing. And belittling.

“Every day there is always an occasion where I am so grateful and cheered up by the help that so many kind people give me. Quite often I don't even have to ask for their help. They just somehow seem to know and do it automatically, which is wonderful. People hold doors open when they see me coming in my wheelchair, help getting it up steps ask me if I am all right and there is anything they can do for me.

“The kindness of so many people is so touching.”

www.sharonskitchenworld.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment