Monday, April 27, 2009

Brain puzzlers




Sharon asked for a piece of paper and a felt tip pen. She said that she had a “quandary” about the letter S.

She drew, first, two S letters but reversed. Then she drew two more S letters this time the correct way around. It should be pointed out that Sharon can write as normal with her right hand. However, the S question had been puzzling her.

“It´s been in my mind for weeks,” she said. “I write the S in a picture in my mind to the same formula. But they come out opposite. So, I was wondering if they would look like S if I wrote them on paper or if I was just imagining them in my mind as S. The formula is the same for both – back to front and back round, and round to the back and round to the front again. But they were opposite. So, I wanted to write them so I could see. It´s been bothering me for weeks. They just look the same to me, except for the bottom part.”

Sharon´s S letters are seen above.

At college in Tunbridge Wells many years ago she learned Pitman´s shorthand. She had also been thinking about how to write her name using the system´s phonetic rules, which ignore spellings and record sounds.

“So I wrote “sh”, then a down “r” instead of an up “r” and then the “n” flicks round the end of the “r” instead of the normal “n.” It´s a half circle. With an “o” on it for “ron.”

See the other picture.

Strokes, of course affect the brain. Sharon had a hemorrhagic stroke, where a major blood vessel burst. The other type of stroke is where a vessel becomes blocked.

Areas of the brain are damaged or destroyed by strokes but, it appears, that the brain has the capability of finding new ways of doing things. Other undamaged areas are used and new “wiring” laid down. That is why recovery is possible. To impress your posh pals you must always refer to this as “neuroplasticity.”

But, there are many odd features, and Sharon´s mysterious S is one of them. “I would love to hear from anyone with any views on my quandary,” says Sharon.

***
©Phillip Bruce 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment