Friday, April 17, 2009

Sharon´s narrow escape


Sharon´s father was an engineer who worked for East African Railways and Harbours in Kenya and the family often lived for weeks in a carriage on the train. Eric´s job was to plot the alignment of new tracks across the country, often in remote places.

Sharon remembers: “We had our own carriage that we lived in. We often went during school time. So my mum, typical, insisted I did schoolwork during the days. I used to sit at the dining table on a chair to work on my lessons.

“One day, we were going around a corner in the train and the doors of our carriage flew open. I began to slide towards a door on my little chair. We were going quite fast through the African savannah. My mum jumped up in a terrible panic and managed to grab me before I shot out into the veldt.

“That was a narrow escape.”

****

©Phillip Bruce 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment